Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have numerous clinical developments and new strategies emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of individuals the chance to decrease or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and pain-free method to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be delighted with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by elegant ads about a specific laser. Pick the medical professional, not the laser center. Discover out who will really do your procedure, then inquire about that doctor's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Choose a medical professional who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not understand can harm you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your medical professional won't inform you, discover another one.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye more laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute. The possible savings are unworthy the danger of getting less than expert care!
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting until the new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the eyesight of countless individuals worldwide.